January 9, 2024
Media Relations Division
DA Gascón Announces Charges in Sexual Assault Cases in Culver City and Long Beach, Seeks Additional Victims
Today Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, alongside Culver City Police Chief Jason Sims and Long Beach Police Deputy Chief of Investigations Don Mauk, announced felony charges in two separate cases.
In the first case, out of Culver City, Marcos Maldonado was charged with sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl in her Culver City home. In the second case, out of Long Beach, Martin Lopez was charged with impersonating a police officer and sexually assaulting and attempting to kidnap a woman.
“These two cases demonstrate how partnerships between my office and our local law enforcement agencies can result in getting dangerous individuals off the street,” District Attorney Gascón said. “I am committed to prosecuting cases involving sexual violence, especially when they target some of our most vulnerable community members, including children. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families during this unimaginably difficult time.
My office’s Bureau of Victim Services is readily available to provide trauma-informed support and services to the victims and their families. I also have full confidence in my office’s Sex Crimes Division that they will spare no effort in ensuring the individuals responsible are held accountable for these appalling crimes.”
“From the day this disturbing and tragic crime occurred, Culver City Police Department Investigators have worked tirelessly to solve this case,” City of Culver City Police Chief Jason Sims said. “I want to thank all our partners who worked alongside our detectives to ensure this suspect was identified and located as quickly as possible. Thank you to the LA Impact Task Force, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Crime Lab, the UCLA Santa Monica Rape Treatment Center, and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office for your partnership. I also want to thank the Culver City community, particularly the Blair Hills neighborhood for the continued support of the dedicated men and women of the Culver City Police Department who have worked diligently to seek justice for the victim in this case. We will continue to work in close collaboration with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office through the successful prosecution of this suspect.”
“Our personnel work tirelessly to keep Long Beach safe and to hold suspects responsible for crime committed in our city,” said Long Beach Chief of Police Wally Hebeish. “This arrest is a testament to our commitment to bringing justice to victims and getting dangerous suspects out of our community. We urge anyone who may have also been a victim of this suspect to please come forward and we stand ready to assist the District Attorney in the prosecution of this case.”
Martin Lopez (dob 03/22/68) is charged in case 24LBCF00030 with one count of attempted kidnapping to commit another crime; one count of sexual battery by restraint; and one count of second-degree robbery.
It is further alleged that Lopez has previously been convicted of two or more serious and/or violent felonies.
Lopez is scheduled to be arraigned on January 24 in Dept. S01 at the Long Beach Courthouse.
On or about December 27, 2023, the victim was leaving a restaurant in Long Beach when she was allegedly approached by Lopez at her vehicle outside of the restaurant. Lopez falsely identified himself as a police officer, showing the victim a badge. Lopez allegedly proceeded to sexually assault the woman under the guise of a “search.” He then attempted to unsuccessfully command the victim get into his vehicle. At that time, Lopez was confronted by one of the multiple individuals who witnessed the incident.
Lopez fled the scene and was arrested on January 4, 2024. Bail was set at $2,410,000.
If convicted as charged, Lopez will face a maximum sentence of 77 years to life in prison.
The case was investigated by the Long Beach Police Department.
Marcos Maldonado (dob 04/06/88) is charged in case 24ARCF00040 with two counts of forcible rape of a child under 14 years; one count of sodomy by use of force – victim under age 14; and two counts of sexual penetration by use of force of victim under 14.
It is further alleged that at the time the offenses were committed, the victim was a child under 14 years of age.
It also is alleged that the defendant committed the offenses during the commission of a burglary and engaged in the tying or binding of the victim.
Maldonado pleaded not guilty to all charges at an arraignment on January 8. A preliminary hearing setting is scheduled February 15 in Dept. 31 at the Airport Courthouse.
On December 2, 2023, Maldonado allegedly broke into the 12-year-old victim’s Culver City home through an upstairs balcony during the early morning hours where he proceeded to sexually assault her over the course of three hours.
Maldonado was identified by the victim in a six-pack photo line-up.
Maldonado’s bail was set at $1,800,000 at his arraignment.
If convicted as charged, Maldonado will face a maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.
The case was investigated by the Culver City Police Department.
It is believed that there may be more victims of both Lopez and Maldonado and we encourage them to come forward.
If anyone has information regarding Lopez, please call 562-570-7368.
If anyone has information regarding Maldonado, please call 310-253-6302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.