October 11, 2023
L.A. County Justice, Care and Opportunities Department Opens Applications for the Los Angeles County Training Center (LACTC)/Fire Camp Job Training Program
All individuals 18+ are encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to applications from individuals who are former foster youth, veterans, and formerly justice impacted.
Los Angeles, CA – The L.A. County Justice, Care and Opportunities Department (JCOD) is encouraging applicants to apply for the Los Angeles County Training Center (LACTC)/Fire Camp. LACTC is a residential job training program and will be located in Calabasas, CA. Participants will receive free certifications and hands-on job training in fire services, free on-site residential services, meals, career counseling, life skills training, and job placement assistance. Participation is 100% voluntary but will require a commitment of up to 12 months to complete all trainings and certifications.
LACTC will focus on providing transition-age youth an opportunity to get certifications and experience in preparation for careers in fire service, forestry, hazmat and more.
*All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, subject to program space availability.
We expect the first cohort of participants to be selected by January 2024. Process:
Step 1 – Complete online Application Form.
Step 2 – Complete additional follow-up assessments.
Step 3 – Final selection for admission will include a physical fitness test and an interview.
Step 4 – Participate in a training cohort and be available for post-training employment opportunities.
- Must be 18+ years old.
- Must be able to reside at the Los Angeles County Training Center in Calabasas.
- No serious or violent felony convictions, including arson and sex crimes.
- Free residential accommodations and meals at the training facility.
- Certifications, training, and career guidance in the fire services career field.
- Preparation for full-time and seasonal positions in forestry and fire careers.
- Expungement assistance as needed.
- Case management support.
- Job coaching and job placement assistance.
For more information, visit JCOD.lacounty.gov.